Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Unravelling


The adage "a picture is worth a thousand words" used to ruffle my feathers. As a writer, they're fighting words, really. But over the last few years, I've been taking more and more pictures. My eye will be drawn to something, and I won't know why, but I'll start shooting. Only later, like a Roshak blot, will I understand what I was looking for in the shot, what I saw. As Anais Nin said, "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." A long walk with a camera has become my own version of visiting a psychic for clues about my future. I'm taking an 8-week self-exploration workshop with London-based photographer Susannah Conway called Unravelling. So I'll be posting some of my assignment pictures here each week. If you want to see more, find me on Flickr.